HOLY REDEEMER

Until 1949, the Catholic People of the Minnow Lake area were served by one bilingual parish – All Saints or La Toussaint Church located on Bellevue Ave. In July 1949, Bishop R.S. Dignan established Holy Redeemer Parish for the English speaking Catholics of the Minnow Lake area. He entrusted the care of the new parish to the Redemptorists of the Toronto Province. On August 23, 1949, Fr. Raymond Fitzgerald, C.Ss.R., arrived as the Founding Pastor of Holy Redeemer Parish, along with Fr. L. McGuire, C.Ss.R. and Fr. F. Gallery, C.Ss.R. For the first year the priests lived at the convent of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd and celebrated two Sunday Masses at La Toussaint. They were very grateful to share this church with Fr. Omer St. Pierre.

On March 19, 1950, the site for the new church, located at 1422 Bancroft Dr., was purchased from Mr. George Delongchamp. The original house was to be used as the rectory. The construction of the church by Hill-Clark-Francis Construction, began May 1, and was completed on November 21, 1950.

As the number of parishioners grew a new home for Holy Redeemer had to be found. On June 18, 1995 a sod turning ceremony was held at the present location of Holy Redeemer Parish at the corner of Bancroft and Second Avenue. This lot was originally the home of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd Convent. The grounds then became the Boys Home, followed by the Catholic Centre. The official opening of the new church was celebrated on June 16, 1996. The church was designed by Perry Architect Inc. to reflect our Northern Heritage.

On July 31, 2012 the care of the parish was returned to Bishop J.L. Plouffe. A farewell celebration was held on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at the Caruso Club to thank the Redemptorist Community for their many years of service to the parish and to wish them well as they leave Sudbury to continue their ministry in other areas.
Today, the parish continues to be a dynamic and engaging community that is rooted in the values of faith, hope and love under the care and direction of the diocese.